Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Roadmap To Radical Faith.

I'm convinced. This journey is a marathon.

It's unfathomable to think I've been absent from the blogosphere for just short of six (6) months. I guess I'm a bit ashamed that I take such little delight in chronicling a move of God in the life of my family. Thank God for his grace. You'll have to forgive me but I can't allocate a great deal of to time beating myself up, there is news on the African front.

As referenced multiple times the adoption process is unlike any other. It operates on it's own schedule, answers only to itself, and delights in frustrating those closest to it. For many this is a cause for frustration. For us this is the beauty within the beast. In the midst of the doubt, the confusion, and the uncertainty the power of God is clearly revealed in audacious fashion. Let me explain.

As many are aware, late last year Julie and I chose to adopt a baby boy from the Democratic Republic of Congo. Full of excitement and zeal we forged ahead filing paperwork, generating funds, and indoctrinating ourselves in the rich history of the DRC and it's people. We were invested. We were optimistic. We were mistaken. In early April we received an email from our now former adoption agency informing Julie and I that Congolese law states that any adoptive parent wishing to adopt must have been married for at least five (5) years prior to adopting. I won't lie, it hurt. We raised this question upon coming to the decision to adopt from the DRC and were assured it was not binding. It was. See, the thing about adoption is you can't simply throw darts at a map in hopes of selecting a country. Each country is uniquely diverse in regard to the stipulations set forth for adoptive parents. There are age requirements, marriage conditions, and many countries are closed. All that said it left Julie and I with limited options. Not being discouraged we forged ahead. Via prayer and the best investigative research we could muster God lead us to the beautiful West African nation of Ghana. We were in love all over again. Ghana had no marriage requirements, the children were strikingly gorgeous, and the time frame to adopt was manageable (12 - 18 months). Additionally God blessed us with a new agency based in Washington state that has been nothing short of tremendous to work with. Month after month we submitted document after document, made payment after payment, offered up prayer after prayer. Then the call came. We were first on the list for a baby boy from Ghana age 0-3. We were stoked. There was only one small side note; because of the relatively stable infrastructure within Ghana and a strong domestic adoption program in very rare occurrences were children age 0-3 placed in homes. The long and short of it, WAIT. It could be six (6) months or two (2) years, no way to tell. The unknown can frustrate. All this preparation to simply wait with no real guarantee of bringing home a son.

This is where it gets fun. A few weeks ago we received an email from our adoption agency informing us of a new 'pilot program' not yet open and in great need of parents willing to take a chance. You guessed it, we proudly introduce you to country number three, Uganda. At this point it feels like an episode of the Wheel of Fortune gone wrong. Except in this instance I'm playing the role of Pat Sajak and not dealing in exotic vacations but potential adoptive countries. So there you have it. In love again.

God does work in mysterious ways. Throughout this process Julie and I have changed course many times, but never once have we questioned the one who holds the compass. In life there is constant uncertainty. Reason for panic. Fear of the future. I hope our adoption journey can bless you and reaffirm in your heart and soul that God is always in control. Each door that opens or closes is by his hand. Trust in his guidance and lean not on your own understanding. Pray audaciously and never be afraid to ask God for the impossible. Speaking of the impossible.

When we agreed to pioneer the Uganda program earlier this month, we were aware that our adoption coordinator would be traveling there this past week, returning today. She visited a number of orphanages and attempting to finalize the adoption program in Uganda and make it official so other families could begin the journey. On her return flight today she emailed Julie and I with news we never anticipated. News that she may have found our son. News we've been so anxiously awaiting. I can't wait to share with you details. At this point we know that he is a 1 year old and his given name is 'Alpha' which means first in his native land. He is currently being screened for major health risks and baring any major setbacks we could have a picture in the very near future. We will continue to keep you posted and you can expect weekly posts as the journey moves forward. Trust God, he always provides. More on Malachi Alpha tomorrow.

The journey continues.


Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

No comments:

Post a Comment